This amazing sweet salad is a perfect, well rounded and nutritious breakfast. It will give you a quick pick-me-up with its incredible taste and will keep you full until lunch time. This recipe makes a large batch, because you will be sure to eat it (for breakfast, for lunch, for dinner, for a snack, for dessert…) It makes enough to feed two people breakfast for a whole week. If you’d like, cut the recipe in half. Experiment with the nuts (pecans, almonds or peanuts would do nicely), with the minced greens (extra nutrition and flavor), and with different amounts of dried fruit (chopped dried peaches, apricots, prunes).
If you have quinoa around the house, try using that instead. It will add a boost of protein.
Absolutely Spectacular Sweet Breakfast Couscous
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat couscous
- 1 ½ cups vegetable stock
- ½ of a red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/3 cup diced green onions
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 inner stalk celery with leaves, chopped
- 2/3 cup minced fresh baby spinach, parsley or cilantro (your preference)
- ¾ cup dried fruits: cranberries, blueberries, raisins
- 1 ½ tablespoons honey or suitable vegan substitute
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Mix all the ingredients for the dressing in a small container with a lid and shake vigorously until thoroughly mixed.
When the couscous is chilled to room temperature or below, add in the remaining ingredients and mix. Pour the dressing over the top and mix well. Either eat at room temperature or chill until cold.
To make a similar, savory couscous, make the following substitutions:
- Extra diced veggies instead of the dried fruit
- Balsamic or red wine vinegar for the apple cider vinegar
- Any favorite dried or fresh herb for the ground cinnamon, and increase to 1/4 teaspoon (dried) or 1 tablespoon (fresh)
- Eat warm instead of chilled
|A rainbow of nutritious colors and delicious tastes!|