Sunday, October 17, 2010

Vegetarian "Mystery Meat" Loaf

I decided to take a stab at my first vegetarian "meat" loaf last night. I scoured the internet for recipes, and ended up taking elements from two different Lentil Loaf recipes and adding in some changes/making some substitutions for myself. In the end, I used brown rice, black beans, wheat germ, breadcrumbs, a variety of pureed vegetable,  spices and eggs as binders to make my loaf, and topped it with a tomato sauce and medium white cheddar cheese. I so named it "Mystery Meat" since it kind of did look like mystery meat.

The end result was pretty good, but I can see what went wrong. The good-stuff-to-filler ratio was way too low - the recipes I used called for almost even amounts of rice/lentils (beans, in my case) to bread crumbs, which created basically a loaf of soft bread with specks of rice and beans. I have noted this, and next time I will double the amount of beans and rice and third the amount of breadcrumbs.

Not posting the recipe, since I do not consider this all that good - but here's the picture. I served this with gingered bok choy and an all-American style hash of potatoes, onions and red peppers.

No comments:

Post a Comment