Packing all of that goodness and nutrition into one glass fills you up and gives you a huge boost of energy. Since I've quit drinking caffeine (only a month ago, but still!) smoothies are the way I get up and get ready to go in the morning!
I buy bananas three or four bunches at at time so I can freeze them for smoothies. Bananas make a perfect smoothie base, and ingredients like dried fruit, nuts and greens blend very easily into them so you don't have to use yogurt. Simply slice ripe, yellow bananas into one inch slices and freeze in a single layer on a piece of waxed paper. When they're completely frozen, put em all in a baggie and just take out what you need each morning. I bought the chopped frozen mangoes from Whole Foods - $3 for a one pound bag.
I'm also pretty darn proud of the word smash up in the name of this smoothie :-D
kale - banana - mango - carrot - almond - currant
Kabango Calmorant Smoothie
Layer the following ingredients, in this order, in a blender:
- about 3/4 cup sliced frozen banana
- 1/2 cup chopped frozen mango
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1 leaf curly green kale, torn into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons dried currants
- 1 scoop Amazing Grass Berry Flavor Drink Powder (optional)
- 1 - 1 1/4 cups vanilla soymilk