I got this inspiration from the Curry Tofu Salad available in the prepared foods section of Whole Foods Market. Instead of making a salad, I decided to make sandwiches with a spread and sliced tofu. The Sweet Curry Spread is a delightful shade of deep yellow and the tofu is firm enough to please a meat eater.
As I was making this, I thought of all the uses: individual sandwiches for lunch, or a vast array of appetizers. If you'd like to make appetizers, simply cut the tofu into smaller pieces before marinating.
The tofu makes enough for either three large, two-tofu-slice sandwiches or six smaller once-tofu-slice sandwiches, or 12 more appetizers with a half of a fourth of a slice each. The spread recipes make enough for this amount of sandwiches.
For your outside pieces, I make the following suggestions:
- naan or chapatis
- whole grain sandwich bread
- cocktail bread, such as rye or pumpernickle to make appetizer sandwiches
- whole grain or sprouted raw crackers
- thick slices of cucumber
- thick, sturdy pieces of hearty lettuce, such as romaine or kale
Masala Tofu Sandwiches
- 1 block of tofu, cut into six wide, thin slices
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about one lemon's worth)
- 2 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons Bragg Liquid Aminos (or 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce + 1 tablespoon water)
- bread of choice
- garnishes: romaine lettuce, curly green kale, baby spinach, shredded carrots, alfalfa sprouts, cucumbers, sliced onion
After marinating, preheat the oven to 350°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lay the tofu slices in a single layer. Bake until they are firm and brown, about 20-30 minutes. Let cool completely.
When ready to serve, spread some of the Sweet Curry Spread on your outside piece. For large sandwiches, top with two slices of tofu and for small, one slice. If you are making appetizers with the crackers, cucumbers or lettuce, cut each tofu slice in half or in fourths and use the spread as "glue" for the tofu to stick. Top with any desired toppings.
Sweet Curry Spread
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 3 tablespoons dried cherries
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
This also works as a delicious dip with bread, chips, crackers or crudites. If using as a dip, use a little bit more coconut milk, and a little bit less cashews to make it less thick.